Often imitated, never duplicated                     Mixed Media - artwork using more than one medium.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Mid Month Guest Designers - April Showers

Welcome back to another Mid-Month Guest Designer Post! We have two amazing projects today: one from our April Guest Designer, Zuzu and one from a frequent MMMC player, Georgie!

First let's take a look at the gorgeous piece that Zuzu made using materials from DecoArt. She actually created this art piece using the BACK of her original April Showers canvas!


This is what Zuzu had to say about the meaning behind her reverse canvas: "It's what came in to my head when we were told the April Showers theme. I did nesting birds as it's April. I added rust because showers in the garden make rust, and the crystal drops are representative of the rain drops and drips you see in the garden after a shower."

I really love Zuzu's reverse canvas, it's such a fabulous idea and also just plain gorgeous! Thank you to Zuzu and DecoArt for being with us throughout the month of April!

***********

Now let's look at the lovely Project and tutorial by our frequent player, Georgie...

Hi there!!

Before I start I’d like to say how honored I am to be invited to guest for this amazing challenge blog – thank you so much for having me.


When seeing that the theme was April Showers, straight away I knew I wanted to use hot glue to invoke the pattern of rain, and of course the quote ‘April Showers Brings May Flowers’ kept buzzing through my head. But I wanted to go a little abstract and modern rather than shabby chic.


It’s no secret that I love up-cycling and will take the opportunity when I get the chance, so I thought creating a vase from a glass bottle wood be perfect for my ‘May Flowers’.

Firstly I dripped hot glue down the bottle.


Then painted over with white gesso.


Next I used micro beads, as I just love the texture these give, which I thought just suited the feeling of rain.


Then I flicked up black gesso from the bottom to ground the bottle.

Next came a really fun part, using some Lindy’s sprays and pure dripping madness!!! I started with darker colours of greens and turquoise…


Finishing up with oranges and yellows…

(…And some Silks, Twinks and Treasure gold – sorry forgot to pic those parts, I was sooo lost in creating that the camera just lay abandoned)

I hit the raised areas with the treasure gold so it would have some extra sparkle.


Next I gathered some ‘bits’, and played with the layout. When I found the set up I liked, I used blue and gold paint to ‘tint’ the items. (I didn’t end up using the flowers as I they didn’t seem to fit with what I was going for in my head.)


Here you can see the colours and the drip/rain effect loads better. I had to use my camera phone for the other pics in a room with not very good lighting.


The last thing was just adding the dew drops


I’ll finish up here and I hope you enjoyed this post. If you have any questions please do give me a shout and I’ll be happy to help.
Have a lovely day
Hugs

**********

Thank you Georgie for being our Mid-Month guest and thank you Zuzu for creating two amazing projects! 


CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR CURRENT CHALLENGE: APRIL SHOWERS! Our amazing Sponsor and Prizes are courtesy of DecoArt! You have until April 30, 11:59PM EST to enter! Good luck and have fun :)




21 comments:

  1. This is amazing...what you did with the bottle! I loved the colors and the drips you have created with hot glue.Thanks for sharing the process too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgie, I have used hot glue for many projects but never on glass. Thank you for the inspiration. Your modern fresh take is totally delightful...now I'm going to be checking out the cupboards for the perfect bottle. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow is all I can think to say! Zuzu's canvas is gorgeous (love the crystal raindrops!) and Georgie's project is just fabulous - the colours, the drips of glue - everything. What a fantastic post - thank you for sharing this with us! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. that bottle is to DIE FOR!. I am a little in love with it...
    Lalique eat your heart out! it really does look like water is running down it. gorgeous work Georgie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful Georgie and Zuzu. The raindrops/water on both are so ingenious. Thanks bunches for the inspirations. j

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous projects by both guests today!! I love the different interpretations of the theme and all the wonderful aquas and greens are so perfect! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pleasure to see Georgie's work here, as GDT! Both Zuzu's and Georgie's projects are a treat to see! Love the rust on your canvas, Zuzu, and Georgie, what can I say...? I'm speechless at your never ending and diverse talent! Great colors, textures and effects on that amazing bottle! Both are fabulous interpretations of this month's April Showers theme!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pleasure to see Georgie's work here, as GDT! Both Zuzu's and Georgie's projects are a treat to see! Love the rust on your canvas, Zuzu, and Georgie, what can I say...? I'm speechless at your never ending and diverse talent! Great colors, textures and effects on that amazing bottle! Both are fabulous interpretations of this month's April Showers theme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful projects and inspiratioN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the gorgeous rusty crystal hung canvas Zuzu! Georgie your bottle is A-mazing with all it's fantastic drippiness and glistening rain drop colours! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous work by both ladies! Lovely to see Georgie featured! She's such a star! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOWSER Georgie, this is amazing, would love to create something just like this, your colour palette and drippage are awesome!!! :-) xxx

    Zuzu i am in love with your beautiful and very tactile project, it is so different to Georgie's but just as awesome :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zuzu, your bird nest is amazing!! Love the grungy look and fabulous idea.
    Georgie-- your bottle is just fantastic!! Love it so much....you have created never seen before texture on that, what an amazing way to alter it.
    Thanks Zuzu, Georgie and MMM team for sharing this wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two gorgeous projects - I love them both. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unmm haaallloooo! What wonderful creations by both artists, and Artists they are! Love the reverse canvas and Rust is my middle name. Stupendous Zuzu!

    Hot glue goes a long way to create wonderful texture and that bottle is fabulous! Gee-you are amazeballs! Hugz to everyone! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zuzu, I love the blues and rusty tones you've used in your piece - it is gorgeous!!

    Thank you ladies for your lovely comment, you really made my day xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning altered bottle, Georgie - I just love that glue texture and the beautiful soft colours. Great step by step too.

    And Zuzu's rusty canvas frame is glorious - love the grungy texture and curly wire!
    Two amazing projects from brilliant crafters.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Georgie, this is incredible and I could see for sale in an art gallery.
    Zuzu what an amazing effect on your canvas, the rusting is fabulous.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning projects from both ladies, wow, mixed media taken to a whole new level!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous projects!! Thanks for sharing the step outs too-fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!