Often imitated, never duplicated                     Mixed Media - artwork using more than one medium.

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #1

Welcome to the first Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - Spray Inks & Mists!! 



We are thrilled to have you with us for our first challenge!! We are so lucky that the amazing online store Inspiration Emporium is sponsoring our challenge this month. They are generously offering a $25 gift card for our Random Winner and a discount code for anyone reading this right now!! Just use the code MMMC for 10% off your entire order!!


We are also excited to introduce our first ever Guest Designer - Shelly Hickox!! Shelly is an amazing mixed media artist who is also on the Inspiration Emporium Design Team. Later in this post you can read more about Shelly and see the fabulous project she made using spray inks.


I'm Donna and I'll be hosting the challenge this month. The theme for this month's challenge is Spray Inks. Just use spray inks to create any type of mixed media project. I want you to be able to make almost anything and have fun. And, who doesn't have fun using spray inks? I'm going to show you my project for this challenge along with a tutorial. Keep going and you will see the projects from the other MMMC Designers. I know you will be inspired to make something amazing!

If you are new to using spray inks we have an entire Playlist on YouTube that contains videos on how to use spray inks. Click here to check out our Spray Inks Playlist for fun techniques and inspiration.

Remember, if you don't own any spray inks, all you need is a spray bottle, a reinker, and some water and you can make your own spray. 

I made an Art Journal Page where I used spray inks 3 different ways. By the way, I learned everything I know about spray inks from the classes I have taken with the lovely Dyan Reaveley, the creator of Dylusions products.


This page was made in a Dylusions small journal. To start with I always spray the pages with water so the inks will blend together.


Then I spray my first color - be sure to use BIG sprays. Don't be afraid to spray a lot!


Then a second color. 


And finish it off with a third color. I like how the yellow and pink blend and make orange.


It was still pretty wet so I lifted it up and let the inks move around the page.


Finally, I mopped up the excess with a paper towel roll.


Before I finished my art journal page I wiped up the craft mat with a tag, added some water to blend in the colors, wiped with a paper towel and now I have tag all ready to go!



The second way I used spray inks was on the canvas butterfly. I sprayed the butterfly with Adriondack Inks that are made for fabrics. I used the colors Wild Plum and Stream. I sprayed the butterfly until I liked it and then let it dry. I also made a tag from the overspray on my craft mat.



The third way I used spray inks was to put a dropper full of green in a watercolor brush and color the leaves on my page. I used it full strength. I didn't add any water. I colored all the leaves with straight water before coloring it over with the green ink (another Dyan Reaveley Technique)


Materials List
1. Dylusions Small Journal
2. Dylusions Spray Inks- Pure Sunshine, Bubblegum Pink, Lemon Zest
3. Dylusions Leaf Stamp
4. Impression Obsession - Chicken Wire Heart Stamp
5. My Favorite Things - Circles From the Sunny Day Doodles Borders and Accents Stamp set
6. Ranger Archival Ink - Black
7. Maya Road Canvas Butterfly
8. Unity Stamp Company - Sentiment Stamp - Angie Girl: Dream With Your Heart
9. Adirondack Color Wash Sprays - Wild Plum, Stream

Guest Designer

We welcome our first Guest Designer - Shelly Hickox!!




Shelly Hickox is a paper crafter who loves experimenting with inks, papers, and all forms of mixed media. She has designed for many different companies, including Tim Holtz, Sizzix, and Artistic Outpost. She currently serves on the design teams of Karen Burniston, Eileen Hull, and Inspiration Emporium. Shelly has been fortunate to have her work published in numerous magazines as well.  When not holed up in her studio, she loves nothing more than a good junkin' trip, or a hike in the woods. Shelly lives in the Memphis area with her husband, chickens, and a small herd of cats.  

Shelly made a stunning mixed media project for us this week. Be sure to check out her blog for a tutorial on how she made this gorgeous creations. 



Now for more inspiration from our Amazing Design Team

Melanie

**Please remember to explain how you used spray inks or mists in your project AND provide a link back to our challenge.**


32 comments:

  1. Eeeeek!!!!! So excited and this post looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what everyone creates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo I'm soooo excited! Finally it's June 1st!!! I've been anxiously awaiting the first MMMC and here it is! With all this stunning and incredible inspiration from the amazing DT, I am good to go! Congrats to Shelly on her guest designer spot! Her work is super beautiful!!! Can't wait to get to spritzing and spraying! :) Hugs everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FAB DT inspiration - can't wait to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such stunning creations from everyone. And thanks for sharing some great tips too. Can't wait to get inky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness! Look at all those amazing projects! Gorgeous work from everyone! Wonderful, first challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. FANTASTIC projects ladies! I'm so excited about your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Donna! Come on and play along!! Let's see what you can create with ink sprays and mists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great challenge and gorgeous projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much fabulous inspiration, I look forward to taking a closer look at all of them and playing along myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for inviting me to join in this month! Love all the DT pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful DT projects and fabulous tutorial Donna! I have only been using my Dulusions for a couple of weeks and I learned some great tricks and techniques that I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excited about this challenge and will be playing along after our house move. Beautiful projects ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work by all!! This looks like a fun new challenge blog. I'll have to see what I can come up with. If only I could keep my spray bottles from clogging all the time!! =P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful samples, hope to play along soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Utterly amazing DT creations and I am really excited about this new challenge Blog. I have been dipping my toes into MM and I hope to learn tons here :-D
    Sorry about the other comment - forgot to change my Greek type over and I had some well weird words on there and didn't notice 'til I hit publish !!! LoL :-D

    Hugz
    IKE xxx

    My Challenge Blog
    My Shop
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. WHOOP! Can't wait to see what everyone creates!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous projects!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - way to rock & roll with the samples! I love that first tutorial with a hint [leaves] - TFS. Off to try and see if I can work magic :).

    ReplyDelete
  21. SUCH a fun challenge! I enjoyed the design teams samples and can't wait to look at all the other entries!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lets see if I can post now, it wouldn't let me yesterday!
    But I totally love what you've all made, so inspiring! Loved to join and can't wait till the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing and making this fun challenge! Hope to play too soon:)
    Have a great day,
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  24. So excited to try this challenge! I just started my blog a couple of days ago (seems like most challenges require a blog) and I am learning how to add links and use a linky. Hopefully I do it right! Now off to start this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. gorgeous projects-what a super fun challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! So great to find a new mixed media challenge.
    Can't wait to join the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm very excited about this new venue to be inspired and showcase each other's work. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I finally made it over here to check out your first challenge!!! I'm SUPER excited about your new challenge blog -- because I have a ton of mixed media stuff that NEEDS lovin' -- and this is just the push I need to get busy :) All the projects here are soooo cool! Thanks for sharing the picture tutorial too! It really helps to see step by step. Now it's time to PLAY!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fab new challenge, & so much glorious inspiration from everyone!
    Cheers,
    Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I came across this via Marjie Kemper & although late for challenge, I am blown away by your page & all the other DT, guest D & those who linked in. Wow, what a lot of talent in one post?!
    As I am still struggling to work out linking on my new blog, hoping I'll have it solved soon. Meanwhile, signing up for blog. Not sure if being in UK would be disadvantage to making orders as shipping always beyond affordable. Will admire & be inspired instead! :))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!